Recipe #2: Lemon-Thyme Roast Chicken, with Creamy Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce
Recipe for 4/5 adults
* 1 whole Label Rouge free-range chicken
* 40 gm fresh thyme
* 1 whole lemon, cut in 4 wedges
* 1 whole garlic, unpeeled and sliced in half
* 6 potatoes, medium (brushed but unpeeled and cut in halves)
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* Rock salt and freshly ground pepper
For the creamy mushroom sauce:
- 40 gm dried Plantin chanterelles mushroom
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 cup cooking cream
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- Rock salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Prepare the chicken by putting on a board, add sprigs of thyme and 3 lemon wedges into the cavity. Pull the chicken skin gently and insert thyme sprigs inside. Press the skin back.
- In a small bowl, mix the juice of 1 lemon wedge olive oil, pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Rub the entire chicken with the mixture.
- Arrange the garlic and potato halves on the base of the baking dish. Add ½ cup of chicken stock.
- Add the whole chicken. Cover the dish and roast for at least 1 hour. Baste the chicken 2-3 times with the cooking juice while roasting.
- Remove the cover and continue to roast until golden brown.
Creamy chanterelles mushroom sauce:
- Soak the chanterelles mushroom in 1 cup of very hot water for at least 1 hour or until mushroom softens.
- Remove the mushroom and reserve the liquid.
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan, add the shallots and sauté for about 3minutes. Add the mushroom liquid and chicken stock. Increase heat and let it boil for about 5 minutes. Add half of the softened mushroom and continue boiling until the liquid is reduced, add the cooking cream, butter and flour.
- With a hand mixer, blend the mixture into a creamy sauce; add the remaining mushroom to the creamy sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens. Season.